For those who tend to worry and borrow trouble they don't yet have, running this type of report might not be a good idea. It's certainly not for hypochondriacs – IMHO. It's a personal choice, and a very inexpensive one at that, so financially available to everyone. If what it contains is going to worry you, don't do it. I noticed that there are several anxiety categories in these reports – but then you have to run the report to see if you carry them – kind of a catch 22 if you tend to be anxious and worry.
My personal perspective is that there may be information here that is valuable to me, or to my physicians, or to my children. The worst "bad news" item I already knew about through 23andMe, but I also anticipated that condition, without genetic testing, because my mother had this same disease in old age. I'm not referring now to the Parkinson's, but a vision related condition that she definitely did have. This item was also consistently reported at a high degree of risk utilizing the data files of 23andMe, Family Tree DNA and Ancestry. Thankfully, it is an old age problem and one that can be treated, if not cured today.
The Promethease reports, along with 23andMe's report, have simply reinforced that I need to be proactive and vigilant and to eat lots of veggies. The good news is that many items include preventative measures in the verbiage or associated studies that your Promethease report links to at SNPedia.
How does this report compare to the 23andMe experience, assuming 23andMe was still an option or might be again in the future for health information? The 23andMe customer interface is much smoother and more user friendly. It seems to be focused on more "fun" and less "worry." The Promethease report is that, a report, although they do a great job making it interactive. There is no sugar coating – just the facts Ma'am. And I think it's actually much easier to use.
You can easily search by disease, by category, and the searches actually work.
...
No comments:
Post a Comment