https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zf5PKnKIJc
The Risks of Oil Pulling - 5m
NutritionFacts.org
Published on Dec 13, 2017
1:15 there are health risks is due to oil pulling. 1:40 lipoid pneumonia when oil clogs up your lungs. in 1925 it was customary to put metholated vaseline 'vaporub' in nostrils of kids until they died of pneumonia and on autopsy areas of lungs clogged with oily fluid. never put vaporub/vaseline/anything oily in nose before you sleep. intranasal butter or olive/baby oil can give an infant/person with stuffy lung, inhaling too much candle wax can do it, if you are a fire performer you can get fire-eater's lung from inhaling hydrocarbons/mineral oil in their acts. 3:45 woman admitted 4x to hospital in 6 months, doctors found she was oil pulling 2 weeks before first admission and more afterward to 'remove toxic fx of rx' she had taken. after stopping, she has not had lipoid pneumonia since last discharge. 4:25 its one reasons the ADA advises against oil pulling.
--vonshango
what is the risk of inducing lipoid pneumonia by oil pulling? .005%? you cite only 1 example.
this video cites a handful of cases that dont relate to pulling coconut oil 3x/wk and spitting it out, then brushing teeth, followed by a salt/mouthwash gargle. also, i did the vicks in nostrils recently maybe 2-5 years back, and know many who do it all their lives, so i wonder how many unlucky souls this happened to.
after a few hundred years of oil pulling in india, shouldn't they have endless stats on it causing lung health issues? we eat lots of grease and oil butter etc. every day, drink MCT oil in our coffee etc., we clear throats after a meal, maybe cough, and don't lay down or sleep right afterward. if we dont lay down go to sleep with a film of oil in the throat, i fail to see how this is super relevant.
video production does a good job of building suspense graphically, but really had only 1 case of oil pulling causing 1 adult issues and we dont know how she was doing it or what oil was used or if she went straight to bed afterward, etc. most oil pullers rinse with salt or do their brushing routine after pulling.
1-5 cases could be fake, so this doctor needs way more data, specific to popular coconut oil pulling, to make a better case that isn't anectdotal "4 children and 1 adult". 5 in 300 million is called a fluke/odd not relevant.
if we apply the caveat by the medical doctor below "people with swallowing issues or at risk of aspiration should not do this. of course not for children" then we've addressed the rare token cases that lead to lipoid pneumonia and cleared the practice as safe. if you start feeling off, cut your dosage in half until it clears.
--
Mary Ratliff
10 months ago
35 year old woman here with zero cavities or any other dental health issues. I haven't been to a dentist in 17 years. Haven't brushed with fluoride in over 12...i oil pull every day and have for nearly 5 years. We also don't drink the tap water.
My 8 year old son follows these practices and when we took him to the dentist just to see if his adult teeth were coming in properly she said he had the cleanest mouth of any 8 year old she'd seen.
Can't make money off people with healthy teeth!
--
Karim Premji
1 year ago
Oil pulling has worked wonders for me. It's a great way to bind pathogens in the mouth unlike poisonous fluoride based toothpaste and alcohol mouthwashes that are cancer causing - yet the dental association recommend those! How about creating a video on the dangers of Fluoride Doc!??
--Candy Holmes1 year agoAnd he could only find fault in Olive oil while coconut is the most preffered for oil pulling. Plus why is he talking about vicks and baby oil? No one uses those for oil pulling--Candace Oglesby10 months agoRight it helped my abscesses--Mrs. Roper5 months agoi've been oil pulling and it actually made my teeth feel worse. they were never this sensitive. i'm quitting the oil pulling and hopefully my teeth will go back to normal.
--
Apollo 440
1 year ago
Studies have found water in lungs of people, who were looking for health benefits in swimming.
--
dot nothing
1 year ago (edited)
even if the ADA is wrong about mercury that doesn't make their reasoning on oil pulling de facto suspect or wrong. Analyze their argument and their evidence.
--
Donald Hoover
1 year ago
At 69 after a lifetime of dentists telling me I needed to take better care of my teeth I started oil pulling with coconut oil. next visit they measured the gum pockets and they were reduced by half. The hygienist said what ever you are doing is working, if I were you I would keep doing it.
--sharichristou10 months agoDonald Hoover the same happened to me. Oil pulling is amazing. And my teeth are really white too!--Soul Dezyur9 months agooil pull for 10-20 minutes. I've found that coconut oil is the best. Swish it around and go clean or do something so that you don't even think about. Don't swallow it. When you're done, spit it out in the trash, not in the sink or tub because oil is bad for the septic system. After you're done, swish with water (preferably salt water) for about a minute. Then brush your teeth. Some do it everyday, I do it about 3 or 4 times a week.
--Karo French
1 year ago
Oil pulling is fine in moderation. They've been poisoning us with fluoride for decades and they still do. Its great for your gums and gets bacteria out of your mouth.
--vonshango
they make charcoal mouthwash now and new non-fluoride toothpastes are out now at CVS etc with charcoal, so wouldn't make your own, but it seems to be working in the labs that create these incl Tom's of Maine etc.--Pratibha Surathi
10 months ago
I am a medical doctor and I do oil pulling with great benefits including white teeth, no bad breath and improved skin. Obviously people with swallowing issues or at risk of aspiration should not do this. Of course not for children too. That's common sense.
--Iluv Merengue
1 year ago
I'm really disappointed w/ Dr. Greger as I honestly believe that this time his observations are very flawed. I'd start with the fact that in India the practice of OP has been done for hundreds of years and people would not be raving about it if it caused ill effects. Also, almost all of the testimonies I've read online or seen on YT have been very positive; I myself got rid of at least 2 dental infections by doing it 2x/day (normally I only do it 1x as it's difficult for me to remember the 2nd), I was unable to go to a dentist each time so OP was a blessing to me. But I use coconut oil and added either peppermint or tea tree oil. I also very much doubt that it's the same to use plain water because the bacteria cannot be held in the water as it can in the oil.
In addition, most cases of lipoid pneumonia cited occurred in very young children, actually babies (including a newborn) and toddlers, and the adults cited were only 3 or 4, Dr. Greger seems to forget that the noses of adults not only have little hairs that keep foreign substances from going past them but that the mucus inside the nose solidifies quickly (making what we ordinarily call "boogers"), so I would suspect that only people that for some reason have a faulty natural nasal cleaning mechanism are likely to get into trouble.
But the interesting part to me is that such few cases normally count as "anecdotal results" which are ALWAYS dismissed when people speak POSITIVELY about any natural remedies, but when it's geared to stop people from doing said positive things then it's "science". The reason why Dr. Andrew Wakefield's study connecting autism w/vaccines was dismissed was because his study was done on "only 11 children". So, is it just me or do am I really seeing a double standard here?
I hate to say it but IMO Dr. Greger missed it in this instance. He is after all trained in Western medicine which looks down on folk remedies, and to take the advice of the ADA seriously seems to me akin to trusting any studies funded by the beef, dairy & egg industry. For crying out loud, the ADA still calls mercury amalgams "silver amalgams" and insists they are harmless! They also have other objectionable practices that holistic dentists frown upon, so forgive me if I can't trust them, they want to protect the profession of their members, that's all.
And doing the whitening experiment on pulled teeth is another thing that made me roll my eyes, years ago I put some of my children's baby teeth in hydrogen peroxide for a while and they cracked and split so when I asked my dentist about it then I was told a DEAD tooth reacts DIFFERENTLY than a live one, so again, I'm taking that with a big grain of salt.
And while I generally avoid petroleum derivatives, I have used Vicks, and presently a generic form of it, inside my nostrils on and off for most of my life, and at 65 yrs. of age have never had pneumonia, I believe that most of the "mentholated vaseline" is in the solidified mucus I blow out when I wake up. But I've also made my own version using coconut oil as a base and I have to say that I don't believe it's the same, the body has no easy way to clear out "vaseline", however, I believe that a reasonably healthy body can clear out small amounts of a plant oil way better than butter.
I will admit that as first I was disturbed by what Dr. Greger said in this video and even got anxious wondering what I could use instead of my generic Vicks, the OP I could stop because I've been alternating with wheat grass rinsing but it still bothered me to hear that it could "worsen tooth erosion". But then my intuition kicked in and I began to think about everything I said above.
Also, it's my firm belief that the FEAR of things can actually be way more harmful that the thing itself, so I'm dismissing this unintentional "fear mongering" and will continue to do what I've been doing. After all, my maternal grandmother used Vicks or Mentholatum for decades, and "toxic" things like boric acid to treat certain infections and lived to 95. My paternal grandmother covered herself in talcum powder and lived to 84, but it was celiac, which is totally unrelated, what actually killed her.
No comments:
Post a Comment