Saturday, June 1, 2019

Euthanasia Zealots Push Starvation as ‘Death with Dignity’

This one is an interesting point I did not adopt and a bleeding edge 'dignity' arguments debated now between hospice providers and euthanasia advocates.

If I have a detrimental one-way degenerate diagnosis ex dementia, then do not feed by hand or artificially even if I appear to be willing to eat... aka give me freedom (by death per starvation) in 7-10 days.


interesting reference:
  • If I am suffering from advanced dementia and appear willing to accept food or fluid offered by assisted or hand feeding, my instructions are that I do NOT want to be fed by hand, even if I appear to cooperate with being fed by opening my mouth.

https://spectator.org/euthanasia-zealots-push-starvation-as-death-with-dignity/
Euthanasia Zealots Push Starvation as 'Death with Dignity' | The American Spectator
December 11, 2018

...

The assisted suicide activist group End of Life Choices New York has already created such a directive for its members with the optional instruction:

If I am suffering from advanced dementia and appear willing to accept food or fluid offered by assisted or hand feeding, my instructions are that I do NOT want to be fed by hand, even if I appear to cooperate with being fed by opening my mouth.

Such directives are not yet legal, but several prominent bioethicists have supported enacting laws or ethical rules requiring such cruel instructions to be binding on caregivers.

...

Here's the thing: Advance directives permit signers to decide ahead of time the kind of medical treatments they want or don't want. But spoon feeding is not a medical treatment! It is humane care, akin to keeping patients warm and clean. 

Here's the cynical game being played. VSED is a not a goal but a wrecking ball intended to smash open the door to legalizing lethal injection euthanasia. Should starvation advocates have their way, they would soon start bellowing about the raw cruelty of such slow deaths and urge that euthanasia would be a quicker and less agonizing means of death. Indeed, lethal injections of dementia patients pursuant to advance directives are a part of normal euthanasia practice in Netherlands and Belgium, with Canada likely to soon follow suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

20–33% PwP have mild cognitive impairment (MCI) at time of diagnosis, but 83 percent of those still living with the disease after 20 years have dementia. | Parkinson’s Dementia: Stages, Behavior, Symptoms, and More

Dementia is a condition that causes a decline in thinking, reasoning, and problem-solving.  About 20–33% PwP have  mild cognitive impairment...